Monday 23 April 2012

Transportation reporter Tess Kalinowski: 'I don’t see the TTC ever catching up'

Tess Kalinowski is the Toronto Star’s transportation reporter, covering one of the city’s busiest beats. She reports on TTC issues and management, as well as transportation issues for the GTA, Ontario and beyond. Her byline can be seen almost every day, and often more than once.

I spoke with her for five minutes about the TTC’s challenges.

What do you see as the TTC’s main challenges? A lot of people say funding’s the top issue, is it?

I think funding is a big issue.

Also, they failed to modernize. Their business practices and staffing are from the '70s or '80s. I think they’re addressing their problems, but there’s a way to go.

Can you give an example of some outdated business practices?

Well we had these people working in booths who were caught sleeping. Typically they had issues in other areas. People who were stressed or having a workplace problem were transferred to the most front-line job.

Some people I’ve interviewed for this project say the TTC needs to have a more aggressive outreach campaign. What are you thoughts?

For five years I have heard the TTC, city council and everyone complain that it’s underfunded. I’ve watched so many outreach campaigns. The funding situation has not gotten better year after year. They still don’t have the resources.

The TTC is run by bureaucrats. There’s only so much they can push because their bosses are politicians. How much they can do is really limited.

We have a big hole. For 20 to 30 years Toronto did not invest in transit — I don’t see it ever catching up.

Does that depress you, as someone who’s covered the TTC for so long?

As a reporter, problems are interesting. They add conflict and make you articles interesting.

I have my own thoughts. I thought Gary Webster didn't need to be fired. I think bringing in Andy Byford from Sydney and London could make things interesting. But I don’t advocate an agenda. If I was a columnist like Chris Hume or Royson James, I could crusading for something. But my job is to observe and report.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

No comments:

Post a Comment